Monday, April 30, 2007

Boom!

On a sunny sunday morning, you can expect any brunch location with a patio to be packed to the sidewalks. While an abundance of patrons does not indicate that the food is great, Boom! is in a category all to its own. Boom, at 808 College St. is home to fresh ingredients, quick service (but not too quick), and an ever-increasing menu that pleases even the most picky of eaters.

On my first visit, I had an omelette with bacon, tomato and swiss cheese. The bacon was not too crispy, the egg was fluffy, and while the tomato itself had an off-taste to it, I thought that overall it was one of the better omelettes that I've tried. Since my first visit, I have had the pleasure of trying Boom's egg benedict, which is traditional benny with ham, poached eggs, and a very creamy and well-seasoned hollandaise sauce. Most dishes will come with a side of Boom frites, which is just a pretentious way of saying that it comes with home fries. Pretentious or not, the hint of garlic and seasoning that they are rubbed in is quite good, but not unlike something you could find in your local grocer's freezer.

First time Boom-goers should prepare for a line if you arrive at any time past 10 am. College St. has a series of brunch regulars that flock to Boom! early, so expect a wait if you wake up late from a night of heavy drinking. However, stick around and wait, because you'll be glad you did.

Price: $15-25per person (includes coffee or juice)

2 comments:

Steph said...

Beautiful!

I always notice interesting places for brunch, and think of you. If you need some recommendations, let me know! :D

Steph said...

p.s. if you need a guest poster...get at me ;)